View Single Post
Old 09-03-19, 11:12 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckschreiner
So... what is key to pay attention to on fitting? Ideally I’d use the nice light carbon frame on my specialized and swap out handle bars and seat. But I have no idea if the frame size is right or close to right. I just bought it sort with limited input from the sales guy.

So... how do you measure a frame size and its fit? I’m about 5’6” (and shrinking!)
Everything on a bicycle works together. You can never replace just one part without it affecting something else. Now think about what you just posted.

You want to take a bicycle that was designed from the ground up with a dropped handlebar and replace that bar with a flat handlebar. You want to do that so you won't have to lean over so far. When you rotate your torso more vertical your shoulders are going to move back so now your bike frame's top tube is going to be too long. Shorten the top tube and the head tube will probably feel too short. See what I'm getting at?

While it's obviously possible to chase around replacement parts and adjustments, the "A" answer, if you are that significantly dissatisfied with the bike that you have, is to acquire a bike that was designed from the ground up to suit your needs.