View Single Post
Old 09-05-19, 12:45 PM
chuckschreiner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Especially if you have someone who will help with the measurements, I recommend trying out this: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp. I suggest that because maybe a 54 cm bike is a touch too big. I'm an inch taller than you, and I'd like a 52, having come down on the top tube recently in an emergency stop.

You can get a higher handlebar than the marketing photos show by using angled stems and/or by having the fork kept longer/higher than usual.

Hand pain could be something like carpal tunnel syndrome, but it could also be too much weight on your hands. I think you'll find this thread very informative: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...l#post12953035.

Numbness in the groin is most likely to be saddle or saddle setup. I know that as I aged, the saddle that worked for 20 years stopped working, and I used 4 more saddles until I found one that worked.

If you've gained or lost weight, what worked 2 years ago may not work now. For shorts, I like thinner pads, which is not the current style. If you use thicker pads, I recommend considering thin ones, or perhaps vice versa - anything to avoid an endless search for the right seat....

I'm not convinced by the large number of categories of bikes that are sold, because one manufacturer's 'endurance' bike might be different from that same manufacturer's 'race' bike, but it might be pretty close to a different manufacturer's race bike. Millimeters may count, but I don't think you'll know which variation you like better except by trying bikes out. (Some sellers may have wide enough knowledge of the market to predict what bike a customer will like, but I doubt it.) Test riding bikes will also give you some insight into which levels of parts feel best to you.
I have tried to reply to this several times. The learning curve for this forum ... 5 post limit, logs you out but shows you logged in... oh, well, I'll learn.

Thanks for the links. I especially liked the fitting link. Gives me a baseline to start a fitting from. And I am going to pay a little extra to go thru a process, do enough test rides to feel confident I can ride 2-3-4 hrs without undue pain.

I can see after looking at several mfgrs sites that your point about 'endurance' bikes is on target. I think I am just going to find a shop and person I trust and let them guide me.