Old 09-24-19, 05:40 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I always adjust the tube's pressure as I mount a difficult tire. I start with the tube rounded out so there's no flap of rubber to sneek under the bead, the I let air out as I get to the point where the bead doesn't want to go on....
...which is exactly when the little flap of rubber so created gets trapped under the last 5 cm of bead I just snapped on.

But at least the tire's on. So when I see (by squeezing the two beads together all around the rim, starting with the last segment to mount) that the tube is herniated out from under the bead, I slip a tire lever under the bead to one side of the visible tube and elevate gently. Sometimes the herniated tube reduces spontaneously. Usually it doesn't. So I give a couple of squirts of air with the pump with one hand while keeping the bead elevated with the other. (A floor pump works better for this than a frame pump but the latter will work if the wheel is braced against a tree or some such to free both hands.) Invariably, the tube retracts back inside the bead as it rounds up -- it's the elevation of the bead away from the rim floor that allows it to do this. Then remove the tire lever and check all around the rim again for any more hernias. Inflate and ride.

On a particularly difficult rear wheel I replaced an old Campanolo aero rim with a DT Swiss rim of the same effective rim diameter -- sorting the SpocCalc rim database by ERD helped find it -- and life has never been better since. I ordered two rims but, oddly, the tire came right off the front with no difficulty. Intrigued, I tried to remount the tire and pop, went right back on. So I left it intact.

I don't like to leave a tire on a rim that I needed tire levers to mount. Will I even be able to get it off (much less back on) to fix a flat in the rain when my hands are cold?