View Single Post
Old 12-13-19, 02:40 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,812 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
We've had threads here before about whether Zwift is "killing" real racing across the US, because local races aren't being run any more and field sizes are down. I think it's a false correlation between Zwift use and real racing interest, the larger cause to me is the general lack of interest in professional bike racing in this post-Lance era.
Before Zwift killing local racing was a concern, it was Strava KOM hunting that was killing racing. I don't think it's either. I'm recovering from major lower leg surgery and my knee joint in particular is incredibly fragile. Falls of any sort (let along from a bike at high speed) are a major concern to both me and my surgeon (I just got him to let me out of my brace a couple days ago with the caveat that I'll put it on any time I'm in snow or ice or crowds or uneven ground or lots of stairs), but I need to get strength and flexibility back at the joint. Also my main free time is when it's dark outside. Training indoors is my answer. I let my Zwift subscription lapse a year or so ago and have only just gotten back on the bike (on rollers with a forkstand so I don't fall). Since December has a lot of travelling, I've slowly been reaclimatizing my ass to the saddle while watching netflix, but I plan to restart on Zwift come January when I won't miss a good chunk of the month traveling.