View Single Post
Old 02-22-21, 10:35 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I don't quite understand the criteria. Are maps allowed? What about the rest of your normal touring and camping gear? Or are strictly limited to "just a compass and a bike?"

If maps aren't allowed, you ask locals along the way and take notes, as I'm sure Davy Crockett did. My last coast-to-coast ride of 4400 miles took eight weeks. If I had to poke around looking for unknown routes, I can't imagine it taking even twice as long.

I'd be more concerned about crossing the deserts and mountain ranges than urban areas. Cities are relatively easy to skirt.
Depending on luck of routing...out here, it is possible not to meet a soul for days on rural roads.

A few years back around Merritt reservoir in Nebraska I and a group of friends did a century. They were marked state highways and paved. In 8 hours we saw maybe 3 cars buzz by and not stop. And those were marked state highways near a national forest and reservoir rec area.