View Single Post
Old 06-28-11, 09:23 PM
Mysterious Lady

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to decide on a bike purchase!

OK, OK, so when is this girl ever going to buy a bike, you ask? It's got to be soon... I'm driving myself (and you guys) crazy. Here are my new options, and I'll post a poll too, just for fun. Riding conditions are in my sig, and I wanted to stay under $500, but am considering inching up now. With the 2012 models on their way, the Specialized Vita line is slim pickings. I also discovered a LBS that is 25min away (all highway driving) that has better prices and 1 yr servicing plus 20% off accessories at purchase; my truly LBS has MSRP with 10% off accessories... so that’s kind of motivating to consider.

So... opinions?? I’m torn between whether I should be satisfied with the basic Specialized Vita (which was a nice ride, mind you -- basically the line is the WSD of the Sirrus), or go for one of the Sport or Elite to get 8sp instead of 7sp and upgraded components, etc. Also, location?

5min away (25min away price + 1-yr free servicing included):
Specialized Vita $470 ($410) - 7sp, SRAM 12-32 teeth, steel fork, Altus derailleurs. 700x32c Specialized all-condition sport tires on all Vita models. Nylon pedals.
Specialized Vita Sport $550 ($480) - 8sp, Shimano HG-40 11-32 teeth, alloy fork. Altus (f) and Alivio (r) derailleurs. Composite pedals. Not as crazy about the color because it is predominantly white... haven't seen the color in person.
Specialized Vita Elite $700 ($600) - 8sp, Shimano HG-40 11-32 teeth, carbon fork w/”zertz” inserts (provides a bit of shock absorption?), 4-position stem, Altus (f) and Deore (r) derailleurs. All Vitas have nice comfort grips, but the Elite’s lock in place and include barends. Composite pedals.

1hour away:
Jamis Coda Femme $550 (not test ridden, might be able on Thursday) - steel frame, cro-moly fork. Just heard it spoken of highly so it's been on my "list". (Oops! Poll says Jamis Allegro, but it was supposed to say Coda.)

2 hours away:
Kona Dew $429 - 8sp, 11-34. Shimano Altus (f,r) derailleurs. 700x35c Kenda K-935 tires. Aluminum frame, “Kona Project Two” fork (is that aluminum?? not sure). Liked this one, and the BS has an terrific 2-yr servicing plan, but ya... it's almost 2 hours away.

Oh, and the other hitch is that we may end up moving out west (more mountainous area) in the coming months or year, but that's a total wild card. Not sure how that would affect my "needs" for the future.

The thing is, I'm coming off a Walmart bike... so all of these would be fabulous.

Last edited by Mysterious Lady; 06-30-11 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Clarification on Jamis poll error