Old 08-09-18, 02:40 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
Looking at getting a new saddle. 142mm, anyone have any luck with anything?
Could you maybe tell us about yourself? What kind of riding do you favor? What is your current saddle? What issues are you having with it that you are hoping to remedy by trying a new saddle?

I’m not a Brooks user even though the old school leather cover and those big hand worked copper rivets are cool. Many people who have serious saddle issues swear by them. They weigh a ton, not that this really matters in the big picture.
One guy in our club has one of those Selle Anatomicas. He is a lightweight guy - Looks like he only weighs ~140#. He says he loves that saddle. It looks similar to a Brooks with a cut out. A bit of a conversation piece.

I have a Selle Italia Turbomatic Team with carbon rails, mounted to a zero setback Thomson seatpost with the optional 7x9mm saddle clamp to handle the carbon rails. This saddle has elastomers under the rails to soften road bumps ever so slightly. It has a smooth synthetic leather top with no cutouts - I like this since I can shift front to back with no snags. The earlier versions of the Turbomatic saddle were covered in buffalo hide. The natural striations in the buffalo hide cover were the stuff for me - slick but grippy at the same time if that is possible. Plus the striations actually permitted ventilation of your butt. I kid you not.

Any butt comfort issues should be re-evaluated at certain milestones such as your first thousand miles of the season. Often it takes that long just to sort the optimal tilt, height and setback. These variables are not static, as your fitness and flexibility change (hopefully for the better) so do some of these settings. Thus the need for a high quality microajusting (2-bolt for Clyde’s) seatpost.

Good shorts are a must as well, I prefer bibs since they can’t droop. Butt paste of some sort is also best if we must tell all. I use Queen Helene Shea body butter from Sally Beauty Supply. A 1 pound tub is like $7, last a long time and (for me at least) makes a huge comfort improvement. It also washes out easily and does not leave stains. Normal hygienic practices to prevent saddle sores are another obvious comfort must.

BTW - The Team Turbomatic, even with the elastomers is a firm saddle. Not much give to it at all. It is fairly generously wide at the rear as per your stated 143 mm width so depending on how you ride might be worth a look.