View Single Post
Old 09-09-18, 08:17 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 17 Posts
Mounted up the tires this weekend. Started with the front wheel yesterday (Saturday) and the rear wheel today.

I used this as a guide:

My materials and work area.

I don't have a truing stand, so improvised with the trainer to hold the wheel while working on it.

After two coats of glue on the rim and tire. Just went back and forth between the rim and tire without stopping. The glue had hardened up enough while I was working on the other piece.

And then the Jantex tape went on (shown with the backing removed).

One more layer of glue went on top of the tape, waited several minutes, and then mounted the tire. For some reason I went full butterfingers when mounting the front tire and ended up getting glue all over the sidewall.

The rear tire went on much smoother and came out super clean. Each wheel took about an hour or so.

I still managed to mount both tires in the opposite tread orientation than I had wanted Easy enough to flip the front wheel around, the rear wheel I'll just live with. Should be fine...

I've taken the front wheel out for a spin in some thick grass with off cambers and a couple hard corners (big park across the street). The front tire doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. Once I get the proper brakes on (carbon rims), I'll give the whole bike a good shake down ride or two. First race on the new wheels is in a week!

And here's the bike with it's first pair of tubulars!!!