Old 09-29-18, 03:51 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by mkoscienski
I recently got a Specialized Diverge Elite and am looking for tire suggestions. About 6 weeks ago I was running the stock tires on a local bike path and a seam in the concrete took a bite into the sidewall of my tire and sent me over the bars breaking my collarbone in the process. I have rode my bike a few times since the crash and the tires are seemingly having an impact on my psyche and I'd feel better on the bike with something a bit more substantial under me. My usual rides are 15-25 ​​​miles 3-5 times a week on paved roads, city streets, and park bike loops. When I put together longer rides of 35-100+ miles once or twice a month, they are done on crushed limestone rail trails with some loose big gravel segments. I am currently running 700x30 no tread out of the box tires. I like the 30s but wouldn't be opposed to 32s if it wouldn't affect my overall pace and make the bike feel slughish. I mainly am looking to stay light, quiet, and fast on the roads with more stability, but also have a little more bite into the gravel paths as well. Can't run tubeless with my rims. I've looked at so many tires and my brain decided some input on the matter was necessary, so thanks for any help in advance!

​​​
What PSI were you running your tires at?

Typically a slightly lower PSI will give the tires a little more give and less prone to punctures like you had. It allows the tire to take the push of the object by decompressing as opposed to a high PSI that will more quickly split or puncture.

There is certainly a balance and your weight and bike type/wheel size/tire type all play a part. But the overall concept is the same. The harder the tire the more likely a split with that type of hard tire hit on a rock, curb... ect

Although this might be negligable of your tire sunk between a gap in the road....

-Sean