kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
I don't find side loaders to be all that much more convenient than top entry cages, but I guess they are a little. This is assuming you use the two mounting points on the seat frame that are behind the mesh. Did you spot those yet?

Of my five bents, 2 have side loading cages, and 3 have top loading.

But yes, you do need a little stronger cage than on an upright bike. I like King Cages Iris.
I found the mounting points and mounted a pair of Blackburn Chicanes because I had an extra set lying around. I can swap them with the Iris cages I have on another bike if I find myself losing bottles. By the way, I just screwed the bolts right through the mesh. I thought about melting a hole with a hot poker, but wasn't sure if it's just plastic threads and didn't want to accidentally melt those. I also mounted a headlight and a taillight and checked the rest of the mechanicals so I just need to order a few 650c tubes, and I should be good-to-go for this weekend's shakedown ride. I can make the rest of the modifications and additions you mention as the need arises.

Thanks for all the help. I'll check back in after the weekend and let you know how it goes. Temps in the 100's here in Chicago, so I know I won't be setting any speed records.