Thread: Birdy thread
View Single Post
Old 10-15-08, 07:23 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
To improve the gearing I installed the Vuelta 58T chainring I had lying around (after getting a 60T for the Swift). It improved the gearing to 31-91". Quite good for most riding. The nice thing is, the bigger ring is only about 1/2 tooth bigger in radius that the original, so it still fits nicely between the chain guards without sticking out. In fact it is now level instead of slightly recessed.

The interesting thing is, the first time I went up a steep slope, the chain climbed off twice and wedged itself between guard and ring. It's a credit to the tough plastic that the guard didn't break right off. This happened twice and then never again. A bit of a puzzle. I blame a slightly dusty chain which had more friction to the teeth so instead of slipping into the tooth valley, the chain stuck on the tip and so climbed off.

Checking last night I saw the chainline isn't centered on the middle of the cassette, making the line more acute in low gears, further strengthening my conclusion.

After almost 2 weeks of commuting, I haven't changed any of my initial impressions. I would like some faster tyres but will probably first wear this set out.

I have found by pulling the brake cable housing towards the back giving it more freedom, I am able to get the back wheel past the brake pads without having to deflate it.