View Single Post
Old 10-26-08, 07:03 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pm124
If the chain does not fall off when you fold it, you can put it in a low gear, but I wouldn't put it in the lowest, as it bends the chain quite a bit. I use an Ultegra medium cage. It doesn't gather as much chain as it should in part because road derailleurs have weaker springs than mountain derailleurs. The XT works great.
When I checked the folding in lower gears, I found the chain gatherer hits the top tube. It might make it in next highest gear but it's already close in high.

Originally Posted by pm124
Those tires are about -2-3MPH relative to the Stelvios, but are almost indestructible. In the US and Europe, Schwalbe is now listing the Kojak in 355. That will also take 1.2 pounds off of your bike.
Well the back tyre has given me hassles. I already got 2 punctures (glass) which seems pathetic considering it has a Kevlar belt. Just further proof to me that Kevlar is a waste of money.

Plus the rear tyre threatened to blow off the rim 3 times during commuting last week. I was JRA and had just gone over a very minor bump when I felt the rear brake rubbing in a spot. Checking showed the tyre bead perched on top of the rim. I was able to save a blowout all 3 times. The LBS agreed on a new tyre, so I got a Marathon Racer instead after paying in the difference, and installed a Slime liner for proper puncture protection.

We're going on a tour next weekend:

day 1
day 2
day 3
day 4 - retracing day 3

Got me some Deuter panniers (with Ortlieb catches) for the trip and commuted with them for a shakedown. Perfectly happy.