Old 07-07-09, 02:46 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Sunday. I raced at the track and competed in the flying 200 meter, the 500 meter TT and the 2K pursuit. I did a 2:51.6 in the 2K pursuit and I am really happy.

Monday. I rode the rollers for 1/2 hour at the cycling gym at high cadence.

Today. I went to the track for the advanced workout session. I did the 40 lap warmup, 2 - 100 meter jumps at 80% and two - 2K pursuits at 90 cadence and 100 cadence in a 47/15 with 5 minutes rest between. Then spun out my legs.

Bike racers cannot help themselves and turn everything into a competition even when it is not in their best interest. At the start of the warmup, the supervisor and I discussed the plan for the day. This is somewhat important since we want to coordinate what riders are doing on the track for safety purposes. This weekend is the District Championships and most of the riders were going to participate. So today's session was about peaking for the weekend.

We decided on an easy 40 lap warmup and then do some efforts at reduced intensity. We start out at 15 mph and plan on keeping it there for at least 10 to 15 laps and slowly bring up the speed to 20ish. We soon have a line of 10 guys and after 4 laps one of the guys decides he wants to pick up the pace to 18 mph and does 4 laps at the front. We are soon at 22 mph. Both the supervisor and I pull out of the warmup and ride at the stayers line as the warmup turns into a scratch race with 8 to go.

There is nothing wrong or unsafe per se but it was not according to plan and defeats the effective warmup. A critical mass of testosterone always goes nuclear, trumps training plans and is impossible to control.

Last edited by Hermes; 07-07-09 at 03:07 PM.