Old 05-02-13, 02:46 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kissena Spring Series Week 2

Okay, here’s my review from Kissena (Old Bumpy) 400m Outdoor track, No Lights.
Half the size from last week so we had about 30 or so riders in various categories but that was better for all of us.
I’m a Cat 4, 55yo, 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] year track chose the 40+ Masters 1-4 and then I did a 4/5 Point-a-lap race.

We had small group and I was the noob for sure
3/4 or are 3's, I think all my group were 4's with many years of track experience.

First race was a 3 lap scratch (nice when you’re old) and I was with the group throughout but slipped off when the bell rang,
I just reacted a tad slowly but that’s all it takes, but NOT far from the 3rd place rider. Turned the crank well kept a safe line and was hungry for points.

Second Race I wanted something and figured this could be my time.
5 Lap Points lap, Winner gets points only, except last lap 1st and 2nd get points.
I again, missed the sprint, but by a tad and took it a bit up track on turn 1-2. I really was not expecting the group to slow done, but oddly they did..
They slowed after the 1st lap and all sat low after lap 1 turn 2 and I could not figure what was happening as I was 3 lengths back coming on the straight and I said NOW NOW NOW.
I turned on my after burners and just flew by them as if they stood still and took the lap (yeah me). Hell if I could do this once and I was cranking it was time for a re-run, guess what… I took lap 3 but I was starting to get cooked. Hey I’m still a big boy at 210 down from 220 over the past 6 weeks, hoping to drop another 5-10 still.
I decided to back off and just regroup my body, which was really a mistake. If I had mind over matter I really could have taken the 4th, maybe not
but I should have tried. Overall 2nd Place in that race. If I took the lap or would have come in 2nd in the 5th lap I would have won the points and 1st in the race.

They were talking about my move on lap 2 all night, lol. Geez , where’s the video when you need it.

Chariot Race-- Very Disappointed, really thought I could get 3rd, maybe 2nd, maybe 1st if the other guys made a right turn.
My holder was experienced, but needs to hit the gym (way too skinny). My push off was NON-EXISTANT and I saw these guys gaining a full length from the get go. I was cranking out of the saddle for about 200m, but no way could I catch them. This will improve over time. Oh yeah, next Time I will get a big boy to assist as holder.

Decided to do the 4/5 Points-a- lap race which was 9 laps, there were 2 groups of 9-10 racers.
Points were 5-3-2-1 for each of the sprints.

I stuck to the front on the start and stayed high to avoid getting blocked in low (new strategy) which means a longer race and can get some advantage of the banking , sadly shallow as it is.
I took 3rd on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Sprint and 4th on 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Sprint so I came in 4th overall in the race and 4th in Omnium points in 4/5, and sadly 4th in the Masters.
If I had gotten another point in the Masters I would have been 3rd.

Overall, pretty happy and need to keep at it.
I was so tired, but that's fine.
I think the weight loss has helped a bit. I am a pretty powerful rider and need to get those fast twitch muscles moving.
Most important is that I am much more confident and need to take more chances and push myself closer to the max as possible.

Thinking that perhaps I need stiffer wheels as I am a big boy, wonder if this factors in a bit.

In any case once the train is moving, get off MY TRACK.

El Diablo Barba Gris
"The Grey Beard Devil"