Old 10-04-19, 05:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,392 Times in 2,092 Posts
There's nothing new to report on the '80 Sports, as the front brake hasn't arrived from Japan (slower shipping than China ), the brake levers remain an elusive annoyance, the grips are on their way via a drunk United States Pony Express horse, and I have yet to order the overpriced shifter.

However, since the Gazelle Whale is somewhat part of the discussion - and is basically the modern beater version of the Raleigh build - I thought I'd share a quick update on that project. Plus, I promised @JaccoW the following photos.

As I might have said before, the Sturmey 8-speed hub is going to present a problem for the chaincase/guard mount, as the rotary cable stop sits in the exact place the offset, axle-mounted guard mounting tabs otherwise fit. Pic of that in a second.

The Whale has provisions for a more sensible chaincase mount though, with a braze-on on the inside of the chainstay. Don't mind the existing wheel; that's the wrecked LimeBike wheel rear holding the Gazelle up for the meantime:

This is the plan. Attached to the chaincase is the axle mount tab, which has been flattened and is mounted in reverse for these pictures:

Since the slots on the Whale's chaincase are already cracked at the rearmost area, moving the tab forward makes sense. If I cut off the axle eyelet and weld the steel bar onto it, I'll be able to drill and slot the bar to fit the chainstay mount.

It's a bit of a kludge (as is the chainguard design in the first place), but it should be serviceable. Part of me wants to replace the guard with a true full chaincase, but if this thing is to become a true lock-it-up-and-forget-it commuter, that doesn't make sense.

-Kurt