Old 05-25-12, 08:16 PM
Der_Kruscher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I'm no fit expert but a steep ST angle actually has the effect of lengthening the top tube because you have to push the saddle further back to get the correct setback (unless you have short femurs). A steep angle and being further over the pedals is fine for riding crits but for longer distance riding you'll be using your quads too much. Pushing yourself too far forward can also result in an unbalanced position on the bike and negatively impact handling.

That said, a slacker ST angle for a given TT length is effectively shorter than a steep one. Trying to shorten reach by moving the saddle forward isn't the best way to make a bike fit - that's what stems and bars are for. Of course, really short stems and bars can goof up handling too.

I wish that I could offer advice on a frame for you. If you're truly having a hard time finding a bike that fits well, a good fitter can help you figure out what you need to look for and give you some coordinates to dial in future bikes - it's a worthwhile investment.

Originally Posted by RFC
2) A sharper ST angle, i.e., 74 degrees or greater, will move you forward and shorten the reach.