Old 04-02-13, 05:56 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It never ceases to amaze me, the depth of the penetration of ignorance and obstinacy in the bike riding community. A poster characterized this thread as informative... how so? All I see is contradiction and self service. In lieu of an actual personal opinion on mirror merits, or lack of same, I will make some observations: mirrors are used on space craft, some of the most sophisticated transportation devices fashioned by man, and when the vital need to monitor the rearward 180* is present, it is not entrusted to video monitors or such, it is down to a mirror to keep a billion dollar Command Module from an untoward collision.

Driver and passenger side rear view mirrors do not unduly distract most drivers... ...

Driver and passenger side rear view mirrors do not eliminate painful... deadly, collisions between drivers... ...

Why do some imagine that the first time they use a helmet or glasses mounted mirror that they should be able to read license plates on vehicles that are 10 car lengths distant??

If you are one of the several mirror praisers who think a mirror has saved your bacon before... oh boy, do you have a reality check coming...

H
I will make one comment, in support of my already stated opinion. Drivers do not have to worry too much about someone walking in front of them as they are checking their rear view mirrors. Cyclists do, at least here in NYC where they put the cycling lane up against the sidewalk. As anyone who has lived here for even a short time would know, pedestrians are NOT shy about walking anywhere they please, especially in a spot, the bike lane, where there is no imminent danger. The best defense against iPhone talking, texting, and otherwise oblivious pedestrians is NOT a rear view mirror. It is a forward facing blinding strobe light. Unfortunately these only work at night, but are very effective. During the day a hearty YO will sometimes do. I quite frankly don't give a damn about what is coming behind me. I'm careful enough to not pull out into it.

End of comment and rant...