Old 12-30-14, 04:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think way too much effort goes into "what-if" drills in general. Let me suggest another approach:

You've got a bike you like to ride. Go ride it. If you need lights, get some lights. If you need to carry a change of clothes, get a big saddle bag and ride it to a motel or B&B for a weekend.
Absolutely.

People put a lot of thought into worrying about a $5000 bicycle.

If you had a $5000 car, would you avoid driving it to the mall... just in case someone might open their car door and ding the side?

Years ago I had my Colnago Super... which then was in pretty nice shape, and a "beater". I don't remember the brand of the beater, but it was equipped with the typical wheel powered generator lights, fat 27" tires, steel rims, etc.

About one day of commuting on the beater, and I decided that I could either leave the Colnago parked 99% of the time so I could ride a bike I hated, or I could ride the bike I just loved riding. I decided that I'd just ride my Colnago and park the beater.

Now, over the last 30+ years, the Colnago has taken quite a beating. I don't do a lot of group rides, but I have in the past.

I suppose I wish the bike was "cherry", but I don't regret my decision to ride it everywhere and enjoy it for all the time I've owned it.

Most of my riding is errands (usually 20 to 40 miles RT), and I still cringe at the thought of riding a city clunker.

It all depends on the person, and it is an interesting idea to buy two very similar bikes, one for beater use, and the other for group rides. The other thing to keep in mind is that bikes depreciate over time, and the next best thing is always around the corner. You could always ride your current bike hard for the next 5 to 10 years, then plan on buying the greatest new thing for your group rides when it comes out in the future. Again, thinking about my Colnago, had I left it hanging in the garage for the last 30 years, it would still be obsolete today.