Old 08-12-18, 08:07 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Now the fun part begins.

I wanted to keep the north roads bars so I wrapped them with some Brooks Cambium tape I had laying around to match the C17 saddle. The brake/shifters were sticky and sluggish though so I decided to replace those with new brakes and a stem shifter for that special old man appeal. I managed to scratch the hell out of the stem trying to make them fit and now have to buff that out before wiring but it's well worth it for an honest to goodness stem shifter. I will finish the bar tape off with French shellac'd twine instead of duct tape too. Mumm... shellac'd twine... Hope I don't eat any by accident because it's made out of bugs!

Then it is on to the Drive train.

Der bicycle came with a 3x7 24/38/48 crank and 13-28 cassette but I decided to turn that into a 2x7 24 /42 crank with bash guard and swap in a 11- 34 cassette just because. Ok, the teeth on the large and middle crank rings were worn and needed replacing anyway but my version sounds far more edgy I think.

The cassette was pretty straight forward:

But for the crank I got out the angle grinder and removed the teeth on the outer 48 ring creating the bash guard. Then I replaced the middle ring with a Blackspire 42T I just happened to get on sale (in case my wife is reading ).

And that is where I sit now. I'm waiting to see a guy about a set of ivory cable guides and then it will be a simple case of cleaning the derailers, wiring them and the brakes up and setting the chain length.
I currently have some wide platform pedals but probably will buy a platform/clipless combo set so I won't rebuild those and the BB is a cartridge so I'll just use that until it fails. I cleaned and re greased the headset when I put the frame and forks together. I am also not replacing the canti brake pads because they were the best working part of the whole bike when I first rode it and stop just as good as poorly adjusted disc brakes.

Safety is highly overrated.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-12-18 at 08:33 PM.