Old 08-19-18, 07:22 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
So I held some basic black cable guides up to the bike but found the colour didn't jibe with the look I wanted. I had an Ivory flavoured guide and that looked good so off to my local dealer I went. Yes, I have a habit.

Btw; notice the Canadian method of spelling colour and flavour? A completely useless U thrown in for no good reason but I like it just the same.. feels somewhat so fist icated.

Dao has been a bike mechanic for over 30 years and my go to guy for all things eclectic. One of my pastimes is trying to stump him with an odd request or mechanical problem and one day I hope to do it but he always seems to be able to un-seize the BB or pull a doodad out of a box. And so it was with ivory cable guides. He said he might have something at home and to call back in a couple of days and when I did he handed me a plain unmarked baggie - just like the other kind of dealer but in this one I found the following:

Fortunately I kept the original cable guides so I had a template for measuring and was able to steal the little ferrule ends off them as well.

But before that mattered I had to clean up the original canti levers which had undergone an awesome fuglification from their previous owner. To remove the spray paints I used furniture stripper and 00 fine steel wool and a special form of lubricant called elbow grease:

To be continued...