View Single Post
Old 11-05-18, 12:14 PM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
Is it powder - coated . That stuff is difficult to wir brush off and rust has a nasty habit of migrating under the coating without disturbing the top coat.
Looks like the original paint, not thick enough for powder coat, and it isn't coming off in flakes like powder coat does. Spent most of yesterday on it with the drill / wire brush attachment, and I reckon I'm about halfway now.

Originally Posted by cannonride15
Looks a lot like the '85 PH10LS I picked up and currently working on. Stuck stem and seatpost were a job to remove! Yeap, 24mm seatpost, the original is a straight alloy tube with separate seat clamp. Not pretty but econo functional. Currently lapping in bottom bracket and headset races. Supposed to be a nice ride, we'll see!
The PH10LS looks very similar to the model sold as a Premiere in the UK - if it is then it will definitely be a nice ride. I've got a Premiere I bought new back in 1986, and it's a great bike to ride. Pic below, taken last year, but it's been upgraded again since with Tiagra 9 speed brifters. 24mm seatpost, same as the ANC Peugeot; after much trawling through Ebay I've managed to get hold of a fluted alloy post.

Incidentally, now I've got the rust off the bottom bracket the serial number's legible. It starts with Y711, which I think is November 87? If so it seems a bit odd, as the ANC Halfords team folded after the 1987 TdF - presumably this was part of a batch Halfords had already paid for?