Old 05-09-19, 04:38 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Brace of French Bikes

Originally Posted by CriticalThought
Thanks @dddd. That picture of your bike is inspiring. I can't wait until mine is in similar shape. Fair point about riding it before rebuilding it. I will. I think I'll pull the wheels off my Motobecane and ride the Gitane a bit with them. They're Rigidas laced to Normandy hubs so should be more in line with what the TdF deserves.

I'm 6'2 so I suspect it will fit me well enough (and should look better with the seat up and the stem down... chuckle).

I'll probably take it apart to clean it, and will treat the derailleurs with kid gloves, the front clamp in particular. If I can get away with keeping them, then I'm all for it.

Thanks again.

Nice "brace" of Frenchies.

Here's a link to a 1972 or 73 TdF similar to yours. It has a metal Simplex RD with a Shimano 600 FD:

https://www.bikeforums.net/20873262-post1694.html

The Pivo stem and bars are adequate for casual rides but you should inspect them carefully. From the late 1940's through the mid 1970's millions of bikes world wide were produced with those kinds of bars and stems.

Pull the stem and look for any sign of cracks forming at the top of the expander split or splits. If you find any crack get rid of the stem!!!

Before re-installation, drill or file a small hole at the top of the split to prevent a stress riser from developing into a crack.

When you have the fork out to service the bearings, carefully inspect the threaded section at the top of the steerer for any cracks or bulges which can result from tightening the stem when it up too high - 75mm to 80mm is the minimum insertion.

Use loose grade 25 chrome steel ball bearings rather than retainers and the Stronglight P3 headset will last for years.

Keep an eye on the bars. If you see any sign of droop, change them. When they start to droop, they can fail catastrophically without any warning.

If you plan on any hard use, especially on rough surfaces, you should switch to modern bars and stem like Nitto. Those stems are marked 22.2mm but measure 22.1mm and fit in many French "22.0mm" steerers without any problems. You may have to file the inside of the top lock nut a little for a smooth fit.

Hone or sand the inside of the steerer just like the seat tube and apply some grease when reassembling. That will help avoid stuck stems and seatposts.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-09-19 at 04:45 PM.