Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I've never seen this in a group ride even race/rides. Doesn't even make sense logically to burn matches sprinting to the front last min just to be at the front at the start of the hill. What is more common at least around here is to simply try to time your pulls so you're near the front when it starts or it there's a downhill prior use momentum to get around towards the front at the base
I agree. The physiology just does not make sense. If one has the ability to charge ahead, why not just try to conserve on the way to the climb use the energy to hang in. Generally, one is always capable of doing more than one thinks. A lot of hanging on in any situation is mental.

Second, having a surge to the front drift back plan just sounds odd and self defeating. I like to think I can hang and let me be proven wrong.

Now, being in the front of a larger group on the start of a climb gives one options if the I can hang strategy degrades into a I am losing contact and I wonder if there are others behind me that are as well. One can then work with the group that did not make the selection. If I am the only one that does not make the selection then welcome to Offthebackistan.

The drift back strategy is weak sauce at best in any situation.

BTS, you need to find much better riders with whom to train. This is going nowhere.