Thread: Post tour
View Single Post
Old 08-05-19, 11:01 PM
wrldtraveller

Bikes: 1999 Raleigh 24 spd Mtn bike, 2019 Trek ALR Checkpoint touring bike, 2012 Scott Speedster S30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Cycco, why tuneup? well my rear tire is soon bald. I would assume its because the rubber used is soft as my bike is designed to be used on gravel, and has aggressive treads. my brake pads are nearly gone, as I constantly had to brake in order to maintain my speed with my friends. I tend to pedal faster and heavier. Eventually my friends did allow me to take the lead and I left them far behind. So I preferred to keep with my friends as my friends has all the maps, and know how (rookie here...). I am very familiar with how bikes works, but from what I can see, Im not happy with the tire as they did not provide protection from general rough roads. I got tube puncture just by rolling into a gravel turnoff, and got a pinch puncture because the downhill had a rough patch of pavement. And closer inspection shows that the tire has so many tiny gash and cuts. so I decided to replace the tire and tube for a more stronger and durable. based on recommendation from my friend, its Schwalbe Marathon, that I am turing to. I did avoid to use brake during heavy and very fast downhill and am aware of using brakes when going at 50 mph, it will burn up and damage my whole brake calibers, so I just let go, and have fun. and allow the bike to slow down by itself. except for one area, I had to keep using the brake as the road was crazy twisty, and I knew I cannot just let go, so I braked constantly (I tend to switch rear-front, to allow time for them to cool off to avoid overheating)

as for my sleep pattern, I think its because when I was touring, I always woke up just as the sun rose, and when I went to bed, its always just about 10 pm, and because of a long day cycling, very exhausted that the moment my head hit the pillow, im out like a light. Now, Im not exhausted, so it takes time for me to fall asleep.

anyway, thank you all for the suggestions, ideas, and they are awesome.

Paul