Old 09-26-19, 10:48 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
I didn't try real hard but trying to do a wheeline on my 26" cruiser seemed futile for me at this point. Hops are going a little better.
26 are heavier/harder to get up to a point, but 26+ you can sit down and wheelie easier. Its the choice for many older guys.

Change of gearing can make it easier also, many change their sprocket (or chainring) the way fixed gear riders do to make for better balance vs top end speed. If you are geared high you will be learning and doing wheelies at high speed which is harder. Its why you see some riding Rigid Mountain and other gears bikes (like the SE Fast Ripper), to allow for change of gear that makes it easier to get front wheel up. You can tell its geared low when you see guys going very slow while riding a wheelie. I learned to do wheelies on a ten speed pretty young by copying the older hippies in my neighborhood . We would just flip bars (DUI style) and go for miles on one wheel. Bar position plays a part also, too far forward makes it harder to pull up and feels like your arms sway more. Seat slid further back helps get you over the rear wheel.
Likes For Bikerider007: