View Single Post
Old 09-01-18, 12:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I've been riding my vintage bikes with either half clips or with clips with loose fitting straps. I just can't get used to the idea of having my feet strapped in where I can't get out of them quickly.
I'm curious about clipless pedals. So other than the pedals what type of shoes would I need and what pedals would be good to start out with? Thanks Bob
If you use tennis shoes or similar, you can get your feet out of the toe clips cinched down as tight as you can get by pulling down and back.

Even with cleated road pedals, a good twist and they'll come out.

I rode with toeclips and straps TIGHT from about age 10 to my late 40's. Then jumped on the SPD bandwagon. I love them.

But, I pull up at least sometimes, and enjoy the stability it holds the shoes. Also stiff shoes.

The better shoes seem to be important especially as one pushes > 100 mile rides.

For me, the conversion from toeclips to clipless was quick and easy. Not 100% incident free (had troubles with loosing traction on my driveway climb), but I believe a lot transferred from the use of toeclips as well as my old road shoes... where did those go?

The question gets back to what you need. It sounds like your primary goal with the toeclips is foot positioning, and not the upstroke, or really holding the shoe in place.

It is worth trying, but if you don't like a shoe strapped down, I'm not convinced you'll like it clipped to the pedal.

I'd probably first look at some really grippy pinned pedals. You can even use SPD style cycling shoes with pinned pedals. Many new shoes come with cleat covers. Perhaps there are other stiff sport shoes to try.