Old 08-11-19, 09:05 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
Thinking about getting a set (or just the rear for now) of the trp cable actuated hydrolic brake calipers for my cross bike. Anyone have any experience with them? The brakes on my bike now suck (my road bike stops better) and it would be nice to have some confidence in the braking...not that im descending or anything like that around here
I first saw these on a cross bike that was very light. It takes the fluid out of the cables and levers and lightens things up. When I got my tandem, it had cable disc brakes. It is difficult to keep the disk centered with cables, while fluid - it is automatic. Anyway I converted the double disc tandem to these on the rear and rim brakes on the front, which is a great combo and what I have since seen some other very high priced bikes have.

You still get the steel cable feel, but they work very well. For a single with double discs I might try PowerCordz that are smooth as fluid. PowerCordz will break after a few years.

For about a month I ran these without cable housing as you see here. I decided that was too much torque on the mounting and it would twist the brake causing the pads not to have parallel pressure. The housing is better even though it added 5-10g to the bike.