View Single Post
Old 10-10-19, 10:35 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm bothered by how that story has turned out 'defenders' of ebike users by going into diversions about health issues and a-fib or whatnot. If there's a topic to discuss here, I think it might be about whether we think the industry might be going in a direction where ebikes could become the norm purchase for everyone (young, healthy, old, infirm). As cyclists, how in turn do we feel about that? -- as it can easily be imagined that the bike clubs, organized rides, even the informal races (eg. GFNY) could begin to have allowances for these in the not too distant future.

The commercials that Spesh and Trek are putting out, while a bit funny, aren't really selling the electric road bike models as a solution to a problem (ie. aging, health); they're more angled at 'surprise or annoy other riders at how effortless cycling can be'. I guess this bothers me as a marketing platform.

As new shoppers for a bicycle walk into a LBS today, and if they have the money, I can easily see today's young adult population being sold on the idea of ebikes.. commuting without sweating, only need to use the assist if you want or need to, what's not to like, etc.

Electric longboard skateboards have really taken off too in the last couple years. I used to pass the regular, leg-powered, versions of these riders on my commutes on the MUP.. now they pass me, motorized at 20-25mph. sigh.
I guess you're right that it's a little silly for orle to be justifying them here, it's not like anybody needs our permission to ride one.

Some group rides will allow eBikes, some won't. I think it's probably for the best that many do, for inclusivity. If you don't want to ride with them, do other group rides, start a group ride so you can guarantee that won't be allowed, or - the horror! - do solo rides.

I haven't seen any commercials for them so I can't say much about that. (I hate advertising and avoid it to the best of my ability.) But Trek and Spesh are in the business of making money, and these things are selling, so they'll probably keep doing it.

Being angry about this stuff won't change it, and it's not good for your quality of life either. This is something we all have to accept. Looking at the positives makes that easier: more people are spending time outside, getting some exercise, and replacing some car trips. Cycling is fun, I'm glad more people are going it, even if I can't help feeling a little bit like they're doing it "wrong."