Old 10-21-19, 09:33 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I get several cycling magazines in the mail (scored some free promos). I've seen ads in them for Brompton. I have never seen a print ad for BF. Given the # of Brompton owners out there compared to BF owners, the presence online of various Brompton blogs/insta, etc., far surpasses BF. The old saying "it takes $ to make $" is somewhat true - you have to be able to pony up bikes if you want product placement in movies and tv shows. You have to be able to cover the cost of attending Sea Otter and other bike events to show off your bike and develop a presence. BF has always relied on word of mouth for business - and unfortunately, that isn't enough in the modern world. You need to get celebrities and influencers behind your product, you need an online presence that goes beyond your own website and facebook page (preaching to the choir). It's interesting to me to watch OneMotor (my electric drive) as they go through the beginnings of this struggle - do they spend $ on marketing/media or put it back into the business, which means essentials right now? They've got little to no online presence and are also a niche product like BF - with the right marketing they could actually blow up but then they'd not be able to handle the orders. I suspect BF faced this at one point as well and made decisions that led them to today. A crystal ball would be nice. BF will never be able to compete with the cheap folder market (Dahon, Citizen, etc.) and they need some serious marketing help if they're going to go up against Brompton and the other "luxury" folders.