Thread: Alcohol and You
View Single Post
Old 06-01-20, 10:11 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick, from the opening post
I also worried about the potential health issues of drinking 5-6 nights a week. It didn’t seem like a wise long term plan to me, but I was hooked. With some struggle, I’ve managed to cut back to only 1 or 2 nights a week, and I sleep and feel much better.
That was back at the beginning of 2017. By 2018, I was back up to drinking 5-6 nights a week. “Only” 2 beers and a shot or 2 each night, I never had a hangover or issues that affected my daily life. Still, I was again concerned with the sleep disturbance, and the potential long term effects. It can’t be good.

Determined to cut back again, I applied myself and kept a strict log though all of 2019. January through October, I managed 50/50. Equal days with and without drinking. Usually 4/3 or 3/4 per week. I found I was sometimes anxious or irritable without, and didn’t even enjoy it as much on the nights I did drink. I sometimes felt like I hated drinking, but also hated not drinking. It wasn't fun, but I couldn't stop. Then in September or so, I started to get heart palpitations that would not go away. Several tests showed nothing wrong with my heart.

Research showed me that alcohol withdrawal could cause the palpitations. Could I be keeping myself in perpetual withdrawal? In November and December, I only drank twice each month. Each drink rekindled the urge to drink again in the following days. I decided this sucks, I need to just QUIT. December 31 2019 at a NYE party I had half a glass of Champaign. It gave me a buzz for a few minutes, and then a headache for an hour. That was my last drink.

Oh, and sometime in late 2019 early 2020 the palpitations went away.

5 months booze free now and I can’t say I really miss it. I’ve adjusted and don’t often think about it. When I do, I remind myself how bad I often felt back when I struggled to control it, and how it was likely not healthy long term. I didn’t plan to quit forever, but now I think it’s probably for the best if I do.
Likes For AlmostTrick: