Old 02-07-14, 10:57 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Good for you, but this is more about you loving your new bike than it is about your new bike's abilities versus other bikes.
In my tri club we have guys riding along with group rides doing 100+ kilometers at 27+ km/h ... on their mountainbikes!
And there's a guy near here who puts a few hundred miles a week on a steel framed banana seat bike pulling a trailer with a giant flagpole attached and American flag flying from it.

There's a reason they call them "road bikes". Sure, I could enter my Jeep in a road race, or take a sports car down a muddy road, but bikes are generally best suited for specific purposes, even if some extraordinary individuals do ride them in other situations.

If someone wants to cover lots of miles fast, a road bike is the ticket. If someone wants to ride trails, a MTB is the way to go. Hybrids are great for general purpose bikes, and will certainly handle both roads and trails, but if you really want performance on either end of the specurum, you're better off with a bike intended for those conditions.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton