Old 12-04-19, 08:33 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinitus
Were your tyres the tubeless 40mm Crosscuts? Mine were, they were 573g each. I’m on G-One Allrounds now at 439g each.

I don’t think the wheels and tyres Giant supply as standard are bad really - they’re decent quality at the price point of each bike they sell.
My stock tires on the S-X2 wheels (which I assume will weigh as much or more than your P-X2 since you have the next highest build to mine, came with Crosscut AT1 38c. So being a little smaller, may not weigh 573g. On my Pro 3 wheels I now have GravelKing TLC (the slick variant, no knobs, prioritized for commuting and speed) 38c. Claimed weight of 340g.

I don't have a bike scale (that's next on my purchase list) but I did a kitchen scale weigh-in (first standing on it, then standing on it with bike). Scale only has 0.2 lbs increments (so 144.0, 144.2, 144.4 etc.) Near as I can tell the bike is now 19.5 lbs With the standard 105 groupset, half-n-half pedals (half platform, half cleats) and plastic water bottle cages and a Barfly computer/light mount (but no computer or lights mounted for the weigh in). Same weight as the claimed for a Domane SL7 with pedals (okay maybe a little more since the Trek site is for a size 56) which is a $6K bike with Di2, and almost 2 lbs lighter (again perhaps less due to Trek using a size 56, but also not including pedal weight) than the Domane SL5 which is the 105 groupset version at $2900. Checkpoints weigh in aroudn the same amount as the Domanes. Not too shabby, Giant!

To confirm: your original weight for your wheels was for just the wheels and hubs right? No valve, no tires, no rotors, no rim tape, etc.?