Old 03-10-20, 04:41 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
What is to be gained by continuing this? Do you think you're going to change my mind? Somehow convince a guy that's been racing for the last 24 years that he's wrong about how to go fast on a bike? I'd be happy to post a shaky GoPro video of me descending a 3600' mountain at 1.5-minute pace off of the record (that I hold).
I have no doubts that you have a lot of race experience. But, that doesn't mean you are correct with the physics of this. I have a lot of physics experience, and I also rely on the what I have taught by my coach, who has a lot of racing experience at the highest level.

If you don't think you countersteer through corners, fine. You don't. I've never ridden with you, and chances are slim that I ever will, so I can't show you what the rest of us are talking about.
You didn't answer my simple question: "Are you stating that your bars will turned to the left during the entirety of a right hand turn?"

If your answer is no, then we have no disagreement. If your answer is yes, then I'm going to state that you are wrong.

These things have been studied, and they have been measured. Below is a measurement of a right hand turn followed by a left hand turn, where the third plot is the angle of the handlebars. You can clearly see counter steering as a downward spike at about 15 seconds, with the bulk of the right turn (region marked by the arrows) occurring from about 25-55 s. During the turn, the handlebars are turned to the right, in the direction of the turn. (In this case, the angle is about 8° for a turn radius of about 9 m at a velocity of about 11 mph.) You can see counter steering again at about 75 s for the left hand turn, with the bulk of the turn ocurring from about 90-130 s.
Likes For tomato coupe: