View Single Post
Old 03-27-20, 10:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have a B17 and found it to be a bit too wide and flat for my anatomy, my B17 now is permanently on an old hybrid that is permanently installed on an indoor trainer, I can sit upright on that bike and read or watch tv. But my anatomy does not agree with the shape of a B17 if I lean more forward like I do on a road or touring bike.

For bike touring, I prefer a shape like a Brooks Pro, it is a bit narrower and the back is a bit more rounded, less flat. Or the Conquest that has a shape very much like a Pro with springs. The Conquest is what I use for touring or other long distance riding.

I bought a C17S at a great clearance price, tried it for maybe a total of 100 miles (~150 km) but the one I got was rock hard. The people that had C17 saddles that had suggested that I try one all had softer ones, so maybe mine was a one off problem with stiffer rubber. I have quit using it and bought a C17 weather proof one a few weeks ago, have not tried it yet.

To answer your question, on my new C17 weather proof saddle the part of the rails that clamp onto the seatpost on a C17 is much longer offering more adjustment than the rails on the B17.

C17 I think is very similar in shape to a Brooks Pro or Conquest, not as wide and flat as a B17. So, if you have a B17 and like it, you might want to visually look at a C17 before you buy, it might not have the shape you want.