Old 03-30-20, 05:32 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by smudgy
I think trail side stealth could work in these uncertain days. The up side is that everyone else is staying home and you probably won't be bothered sleeping at a bench along the trail or just off trail in a patch of trees. I wasn't trying to discourage your plans, just be careful, these aren't normal days. We'll know more in the weeks and months to come. All of my touring plans are on hold. I just hope I can get out and travel this summer.
I got bored yesterday and set up a sweet jump for my mountain bike. My wife didn't even try to talk me out of it. I took that sweet jump, should of wore my helmet. Well, 8 stitches later. I'm just chillin'. I let boredom and my Y chromosome make me do something stupid. There's never a good day to go to the ER, but this is an especially bad time.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Sorry to hear of the wreck. That is never a good thing.

I used to be in to BMX/freestyle riding. When I was 18 I was at an indoor skate park with a buddy of mine. I went up a vert wall and ended up coming off of the vertical portion too far. I essentially nose-dived in to the floor. Not only did I get stitches I knocked a tooth out and I am pretty sure I broke my jaw. I was on a soup through a straw diet for weeks. I had the tooth jammed back in at the ER. It lasted until a year and a half ago. The root canal that was done on the tooth let go when I was eating a Ruben sandwich. That root canal material was all that was left. The tooth dissolved inside the gum line over the years. Now I have an implant in its place.

Back on topic - I did some more work on my A frame tent idea today. I made a ground cover for it. Then I weighed it. The tent, trekking poles, ground cover, stakes, an the ground cover is right at 8lbs. My Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2 tent complete, minus ground cover (I always used tarps back in the day) is 7.4lbs. For the size and robustness of the Hammerhead I am thinking it is the best option - much bigger inside. However, it is a bigger tent and more complicated to set up. I suppose the other upshot is it is self-supporting with the pole structure.

If I had my hammock I would have no issue - no worry of needing flat ground and it weighs less than any of the ground dwelling options I have. It does require trees or other supports, but that is not much of an issue.