Old 03-24-20, 08:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Virginia is going into lock down mode at 1159 pm tonight. Only essential businesses will remain open. The liquor store made the list. I find this interesting. Is it open for true alcoholics that may go in withdrawal if alcohol gets harder to come by and could add people going to the hospital, or is open because it is state run and will help generate revenue.
Thoughts?
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sales of both wine and hard liquor in Pennsylvania are mostly controlled by the state through what we call "state stores." The state closed those stores a while ago.

Some grocery stores have wine and beer licenses under a law that was passed a few years ago. Problem is, those stores still have to buy their wine from the state, and the state ain't delivering. I was in a grocery store on Sunday. Inventory was very low. Went to Whole Foods this morning. It literally had four bottles of some sparkling wine left. Beer isn't a problem because retailers can buy it directly from distributors.
Oh yeah - I'd forgotten about that wrinkle with VA. VA has state stores, too, but they're only hard liquor - wine and beer is sold at grocers. See, this is where the weirdness of MN tangles things up for me - wine and real* beer cannot be sold outside of dedicated liquor stores (hence, if liquor stores don't stay open, riot in the streets).

*MN is the last state (I think) to sell the abomination known as 3.2 beer, available in grocers, a holdover from our recently-repealed Sunday liquor sales ban.