View Single Post
Old 01-26-06, 06:06 PM
alison_in_oh
Focus on the future

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, cool. So now you know that the first step is to increase your intake. For piddling amounts of cardio, especially indoors, I am personally cool with about 1800 calories -- I don't always count, but it amounts to a mild restriction. I lose weight readily at that level if I am doing something active daily.

As spring comes, I am going to move into more and harder training. To maximize the quality of my training, to make recovery efficient, and to provide the building blocks for my growing muscles, I am going to ease up most restrictions, as well as making sure to get some known "protein foods" at every meal. By the time I am approaching race form, I expect to be eating around 3000 calories daily -- which is really tough for me psychologically! But my body needs it. I lose weight even at that level, as I am working out hard for about 12 hours a week.

Does your gym have an assistance pullup machine? I love those things, the compound movement works all kinds of muscles, and you can work better if you start by lifting only a fraction of your body weight.

All those stationary machines are going to be approximately equivalent for your training, they're all just cardio and are kind of maintaining your heart health. Your cycling-related training will happen on the bike, and you can kick-start it with spinning classes (which are the closest thing to a real bike that you're going to get indoors!)