Thread: Power meters
View Single Post
Old 02-13-21, 08:38 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
I don't know about that. I'm using a power meter to monitor volume of training both post hoc and also during a session. I'm not sure a heart rate monitor could do that.

At any rate, it seems ridiculous to think there's only one solution that fits everyone. Now that there are so many coaches doing podcasts, it's interesting to compare the ones who take a rigid, single approach to what athletes should do to the one who think the goal is to maximize performance. These are flexible in their approach, tailoring training to each individual.
I have a power meter, a HRM, and a coach. Sure, plenty of workouts are based on power but not all. And she doesn’t just blindly look at the power numbers of a workout. She looks at my HR and takes in feedback from me about the workout. Plenty of people train by HR and that’s fine. But a power meter is a useful training tool. There’s a reason so many professional cyclists and coach’s use them for training.
Likes For biketampa: