View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 10:05 AM
OnTheTarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv
No, but that one is pretty obvious. Ask yourself what motivates some people. Especially from middle age on. Mid life crisis convertibles? Trying to recapture a youth which one might think was unfulfilled? Not just a nice looking or riding motorcycle but one that stands out like the proverbial king of credit card badassery. They didn't even ride that well because they were ungainly. Poorly designed. (there were exceptions but few) I saw a lot of them on trailers on the way out to Sturgis, but magically, but the time we were nearing Pierre SD, The ones on trailers were being unloaded to ride in. If that's one's thing, I guess...

I won't recommend rereading Freud because I think he got it wrong. But then if enough people read it and believe it, they tend to sort of live it out. It doesn't become right, per se, but it becomes accepted. (do I need to spell out why?)

If you (and others) don't see the symbolism I can think of three reasons. Which would also mean you don't see the beta male style competition that often happens at intersections LOL. But you will now because I put it in your head to watch for it. And in the rarified occasions when it does and you catch it you'll think, Dammit, that ass on Bike Forums told me this would happen.

Nietzsche, on the other hand, that guy was prophetic. ASZ is even better if you can find a copy in his original, what we'd call Old German. That's how I first discovered Neitzsche and I'm grateful for that.

So.. you been mansplained enough? You hate me? Good.
God this is an insufferable take. You're conflating phallic symbols with midlife crisis stereotypes? That doesn't even make sense. The reason people buy convertibles and motorcycles are because they are fun to drive, and to the extent there is a performative or signalling aspect to it, that is definitely not limited to middle aged men. Look at any nightlife scene at the young people with their (heavily financed) Lambos and stereos blasting.
I think the real underlying psychology is a tinge of jealousy. The loud obnoxious truck or motorcycle captured your attention or made a statement that you weren't able to counter as a mere pedestrian or cyclist.
Likes For OnTheTarmac: