Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Sorry, the message hidden in my post with the mythical characters was perhaps not clear. This is what I meant there. (BTW...I agree with many social program ideas)

My point was that "total" cycling safety is as real as unicorns and little Irish gnomes. And "better" safety is a long way off. Individual cyclists need to TAKE ACTION themselves TODAY given the facts on the ground and the situations they ride under. The world is a difficult place to change but WE can change ourselves and react to the situations in a moment. Don't sit around missing the point dreaming of some cycling utopia that may never come. It's a pot of gold under a rainbow with a unicorn peeing on it and Bigfoot doing an Irish jig next to it.

As I have said here about a million times, and it applies so well to the poor dude who got killed. He was, according to my readings, a highly experienced cyclist. To me, it looked like he was doing nothing wrong AT THAT MOMENT when he got killed - as far as the RULES of the road go. The "Rules of the Road" for cyclists do not cover anything outside of traffic laws in general. Here are the RULES that never get mentioned in handbooks:

2. Be mindful of MOTORIST HAZARDS:

The newly deceased, someone posted here, likely was riding into a rising sun along with the motorist who got him. How many deaths just reported here on A&S are likely related to motorists' vision hampered by looking directly into the rising or setting sun? .
This took place nearly 2 hours after sunrise. The sun is truly challenging for about 30 minutes after sunrise or 30 minutes before sunset, and that's being liberal. Now if a motorist wants to use it as an excuse, its very presence in the sky can be used as an excuse anytime between sunrise and sunset.