View Single Post
Old 08-23-19, 08:08 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1- suggest she do some local touring first. Multiple weekend overnights and a 4 day tour too. That will help her figure out what to pack, how to pack, and quietly help show you that she has the skills/ability/mindset to fulfill her dream.
It can't hurt, but how big of a deal it is depends on how much experience she has with other forms of self supported outdoor travel. For someone who has done a bunch of backpacking, canoe camping, xc ski camping or whatever it really isn't too big of a deal.

2- bear spray for sure. This isnt just because she is a woman- its simply smart to have while crossing a decent bit of the US.
Different strokes. I've never bothered with it. I have toured and backpacked in bear country fairly extensively and figure that proper campsite practices are more important wrt bears. Personally I don't think I'd carry bear spray as a weapon. If someone feels better carrying it I wouldn't discourage it, but. I also have never recommended it unless it was already brought up. I figure encouraging it unnecessarily feeds their fear.

Maybe meet up and ride part of it too? Not as a way to oversee the trip, but to enjoy part of it with her.
It might be fun if she doesn't see it as an imposition. I'd bet that a small portion at some point would be unlikely to be, but tread lightly.

My daughter invited me along on the Trans America when she rode it after graduation with a college room mate. They said they could use a mechanic. I accepted the invite and I think we all enjoyed the trip. I can't say for sure if they regretted asking me along, but I am sure they could have managed nicely without me.