Old 03-08-21, 03:38 PM
kolt54321

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
1974 Motobecane Grand Touring - What work is needed here??

Hey all! Just bought a '74 Motobecane Grand Touring yesterday for $70. I've taken as many close up pics (in my profile - still can't link them yet sorry!) as I could - but totally new with bikes so hoping it is helpful. What are your thoughts on this one? I already have a Trek Multitrack 700 (apologies, yesterday quoted 720 - it's a 700, steel frame) from '91, that rode great all throughout last year but the gear switcher needs a complete overhaul. I've left it effectively as a single-speed for now, brakes adjusted, standard (non-drop handlebars) and a hybrid. I'm hoping to use the Moto as a road bike that could get me through 25M rides of scenic routes! Not racing with this or plan on going very fast, just far hopefully. Standard handlebars on the 700 do leave my hands more sore on bumpier parts of the ride.

Album here: https://bikeforums.net/g/album/20787983 . Finally able to link!

Another user noticed yesterday:

* Back derailleur is not original (Shimano SIS), not held on correctly.
* 1x conversion is lame here - they just took off the front derailleur and called it a day. Won't be useful in going up hills.
* Chain is too short
* Missing crank bolt (drive side)
* Will always be heavy since it's a steel frame + steel cranks. Alum tires thankfully.
* French parts - more specialty (not easily replaceable) and 27'' tires - not 700C, a bit harder to find, but not rare.

As I'm new to this, I took this to the local bike shop (I'm hearing this was a mistake?), and his comments were:

* Will re-fit back derailleur
* Something wrong with the gears, may need new cable. Will fix/replace
* Will replace crank bolt
* Back brake needs adjusting (as expected)
* Doesn't really see the chain as too short
* Don't think it will be the absolute best at fine-tuned climbing hills but there's enough spacing within the back gears to provide ample variation.

They quoted ~$50, and so I left it to them. I'm no good with adjusting brakes, so I figured it's worth the cost just for the tune-up (+ an expert lookover), and they'll have the crank bolt which may be hard for me to source. Not sure if this is a lot, but how would you have gone about it?

As I know there are experts here on the vintage side, I'm hoping to hear your thoughts! Both on whether there's something else that needed to make ridable, and if there's any beginner-friendly adjustments that would be great for quality of life. And whether this bike would be suitable after everything for longer rides! Thanks everyone

Last edited by kolt54321; 03-08-21 at 04:39 PM.