Old 03-10-21, 01:03 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Originally Posted by kolt54321
Thank you! Will be raising the seat a bit higher since per the advice it's a bit low. I'm glad I got lucky with this one, and that my LBS is affordable.

The Multitrack is pretty much sentimental at this point - it's run over pretty much everything without a tune-up from glass to nails in tornado warnings and whatnot without a squeak (gears are complaining but nothing sans that). I'm baffled that it's from 1991 but these bikes indeed do last more than I would have originally expected.

Taking it out today the Motobecane feels like a fast ride despite its steel, and I'm not sure I'd want to go any faster if I'm to keep an eye around me (maybe that's all road bikes). Bit of an off topic question - sorry if this is silly, but is it safe to ride in the hoods on a vintage bike like this one? It's not really sloping upwards, and I'm not sure if the brakes are meant for that type of weight stress (couldn't really find anything in a quick search of the forums). Still trying to get comfortable on it but though I'd ask!
Yes it is safe to ride with your hands on the hoods. In fact, that is the position most often used. You can operate the brakes with your hands on the hoods, but to stop quickly it is best to first move your hands to the "hooks" directly behind the brake levers.