View Single Post
Old 04-15-19, 09:21 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Very difficult to understand why Surly would make that decision. I could maybe see doing this with a sportier bike, but the LHT is not that. People buy it for loaded touring, and 50/39/30 is bizarre for loaded touring unless you live in Florida or the Bonneville Salt Flats.
I am fairly certain the LHT went to 10 speed a few years back, others can correct me on that.
So while the cynic in me says its about cost, given that the Troll has been coming with 10 speed Deore 48/39/26 and 11-36 since 2017, it could be simply that someone decided to keep it 9 speed, and now the 9 speed Deore stuff isnt widely available, not in numbers they need to be assured of.

the look of that sora crankset PROBABLY means you can change the rings easily, if the bcd is right, but honestly, as someone who has skinny legs, I know from experience that a 39 mid ring and 30 granny is simply too tall for loaded touring.
This is why the 48/36/26 has been such a standard for so long.

in the end, I dont have the answer, just thoughts on the "why"

I would hope they go back to the 10 spd deore trekking setup, for riders sake who know nothing of gearing and touring on a heavy bike in hills.