Bikes: yes, Bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Vince,
Of course "unordinary" is a word.
But you wont find it in Websters.
I made it up, but now it's been used, right here on the BF.

It's a simple reference to the front part, which looks like an "Ordinary" or penny farthing bike, but it's not, it's "un".

I agree that it started out as a unicycle, and does not freewheel.

I have done the same, used unicycles to make something else. However not with so long a frame.

Mine were more like modern velocipedes, made of metal rather than wood, and smaller, used a 26" wheel, so as
to be able to touch the ground when stopped.

The old velocipedes were taller, with the cranks fit solid to the wheel, as with a unicycle, and you could Not
touch the ground when stopped. Dangerous !!

As the story goes, the front wheel got bigger, for more speed, and the rear wheel got smaller, to save weight,
until an "Ordinary" resulted. Very,very dangerous!!!!! That's where "headers" were very common.

Which led to the invention of the "Safety" bicycle we ride today.

I have seen a modern "ordinary" with a freewheeling hub. The hub is much bigger as it needs to house the
freewheeling parts.

My "homemade" modern velocipede started with a children's unicycle, $5, and laced the hub into a 26" wheel,
and used a 24" rear.
It was fun to ride, while being both easy and hard at the same time.
The hard part comes from the need to "pay attention" , no coasting to site see.
When a friend of mine first saw it, he "had' to try it, then he "needed" to take it home for his kids to try.
Then he had me build a smaller one for his kids.

So the bike you saw has a bigger wheel, but with the long frame the rider sits way back from the center of
the wheel, much safer, and lower to the ground, possibly low enough to touch the ground when stopped,
and has a riding position similar to a recumbent. then the small wheel out behind.

I find the "look" kinda fun to see. Looks a bit like a chopper.

So to coin yet another word, i might call it a "chopanary", however it is very un ordinary as well.

Side note: I was born in Hayward, and wound up living in San Mateo as well for a few years.
i was living on the Peninsula when the "new" bridge was built.

Last edited by bkentr; 02-10-18 at 01:39 AM.