Old 02-25-19, 01:57 AM
Kaben

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by taras0000
No "simple" way. Turning over the pedals requires overcoming resistance. The source of that resistance is what is going to determine how many watts are required to turn a given gear at a given RPM. In the real world, this resistance is largely supplied by the rider's CdA. Rider with lower drag will be able to turn over X Gear at Y RPM with a lower wattage than a rider with a higher drag coefficient. You can set up a trainer with 50 watts resistance and turn over any gear at any RPM you want.

What you need to do is try and get an RPM:Watts plot for yourself. In other words, you will need a PM that tracks cadence and wattage, then pick a gear that you normally race in, and do a standing start to top speed. You can then use that graph to plot the resistance curve in your trainer program. You can do graphs for different gears, or different scenarios (Like an F200), as well as mix and match various protions of curves to get multiple graphs to use, and do your workouts based off of the appropriate wattage curves.
Originally Posted by brawlo
Are you using your track bike on the kickr? If so how?

2nd - Don't overthink it. The proper fast guys I know of don't worry about any of that sort of level of detail. Having hung around them for a while, it's kind of amusing what the next level of rider worries themselves with

Thanks to both of you for coming back to me. Im not after anything super specific with regards to actual real world wattages - more a way to calculate the change in wattage with different gear inches if we assumed the same CdA for all of them.

My reason for setting this up is that i do almost all of my bike training first thing in the morning at 5am. At that time i am very brain dead and i find it easiest if i can follow a workout on my laptop rather than have to do any maths myself. In the past when i have raced crits and on the road, i have had much better success with my training following workout through Trainerroad or the Sufferfest. The only thing i have to set up in the morning is my laptop and a cup of coffee. Other than that i can just follow the on screen prompts for cadence and the trainer sets the resistance.

I would like to create some custom workouts following along the lines of the ergo sessions listed on UpUpUp, but i have no idea what to set up the resistances as for the different gear inches relative to one another.

In answer to your second question Brawlo - i dont have a track bike on the Kickr, i just set up a normal road bike. I have changed the the front chain rings from compact to semi compact to standard in the past to try and get some of the bigger chainring / cog combinations but its a pain in the arse to re index the front mech each time.