Old 07-10-19, 08:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
PBP controls

One very important aspect of PBP is making it through the controls without wasting any time. That's a little different than spending time there, the controls can be a nice part of the ride. There was an article in the RUSA PBP special edition that I have read many times. I am hoping people will help me add to that information. I'm going to have a post about each control. The only control where I easily found water was at Villaines, so if anyone has any suggestions about that, it would be helpful

I'll add details to the posts later. If I give right/left directions it's relative to the route on the way out.

Signs you will see at controls: Dortir -- sleeping. Douche -- showers. Sortie -- exit. Interdite -- do not enter

Mortagne Au Perche 73 miles into this year's ride. Remember this isn't a control on the way out, and there is nobody to stamp your card. It will be best if you can skip this stop. I wanted to get a sandwich and they were sold out. The cafeteria line was very long. Best if you can just ride past. There is a square before you get there that may have open cafes and stuff for sale. I bought water there in 2011.

The town is at the top of a decent sized hill. On the way out, you immediately hit a fast descent. On the return trip, part of the descent is through town. I was there at 3a.m., so traffic wasn't an issue.

Remember it is a control on the way back, so definitely stop. I slept 3 hours on the cafeteria floor in 2011 on the return trip. Probably should have gotten a cot

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-12-19 at 08:55 AM.