Old 08-20-19, 11:25 AM
McNamara

Bikes: Orbea Orca and a cheap steel frame road bike of indeterminate origin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Apartments and tubular tires

Short version of my question: is it safe to glue tubulars in an apartment?

The long version is that carbon wheels will be the second major investment in my road race bike after a power meter (already decided which one to get there). It's a rim brake frame, with clearance for 25mm tires maximum. I could always go with carbon clinchers for convenience, but I'd really like tubular wheels for a variety of reasons. Chief among them is that I'd like to learn the art of gluing tubular tires - part of the allure of cycling culture, I suppose - and because I'd like to experience the ride quality for myself and see what if any difference I can discern from good clinchers (currently on Conti GP4000s). It does seem like there are many more choices in rim and disc brake carbon clincher wheels these days, compared to rim brake tubulars.

I live in a one-bedroom apartment though, so I'm quite concerned about the safety of gluing tubulars in such a small space. My apartment is also constantly full of dog hair despite frequent cleaning, haha. Is gluing on the balcony a potential option, or would the heat and humidity wreak havoc on the curing process? I could pay a local shop to glue them, but then I wouldn't learn anything.

Opinions and advice gladly welcomed.