Old 09-18-19, 07:05 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledog1
my brother has the HED belgiums, he loves them.

do you commute with out fenders, or do you live in a drier climate? nice commuter, but it would be taking a beating on bad roads. sorry to hear about your other ride's crack, that sucks.
My fast commuter was a Univega Modo frame (Columbus Thron tubes) that I purchase from someone who converted it to be an "old school" cyclocross bike. I, of course, immediately lost the front fork over a series of moves, so I had a frame with cantilevers on the rear and a carbon fork with a standard road caliper on the front. Looked weird but worked. The bike was in almost continuous use for over 19 years, accumulating almost 60k miles on it. It was a road bike at first, later it became my fast commuter, and it was usually the bike on the trainer. Loved that frame, but I knew the commuting was taking a toll on it. It owes me nothing.

As far as using the Ritchey for commuting, I slap a post mounted rack on the seatpost and off I go. That rack has scratched the heck out of the seat post (no real loss, I really dislike the single bolt clamp and wanted to replace it to get rid of a creak) but the commute includes a couple of miles of crushed limestone trails. Dust from that trail is working its way into everything, and I now need to replace a headset bearing, likely the RD, and I fear it may be getting into the Ergopower shifters as I am starting to have an issue with the left shifter. I have some clip-on fenders that I have used but I find that I get just a messy with them on as without them, and the bike actually seems cleaner without them after riding in the rain, so I just leave them off. And they didn't seem to help with the dust from the trail.

I suspect a Surly Cross-Check will be joining the stable shortly as a commuter.