Old 06-17-19, 05:04 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
26" gravel tires - smooth and wider or knobs and narrower?

Didn't want to threadjack the recent thread on gravel tires, since mine are for my Santana Vision 26" rigid drop-bar tandem which maxes out at 2" wide slicks (Kojaks, ruled out for gravel after reading BRR review noting their low tread protection and "horrible" sidewall protection) with fenders. Stoker has expressed willingness to ride the Palouse to Cascades State Park Trail, we've been on parts of it but never on a tandem. Riding on 32mm city tires the first time was a bit sketchy and even sketchier when I recently rode a portion on 25mm slicks, so confidence-inspiring tire choice is at the forefront of my mind.

Jan Heine argues that smooth tires with supple casing are best, while lots of people seem to feel more confident with knobs (at the expense of size in order to fit under fenders). Then there's a wide range of offerings based on puncture protection and associated weight. I thought I was going to buy some Continental Contact Plus Travel 1.75" tires, but the listed weight of 950g is eye-popping and now I have second thoughts...

Do side knobs help smooth the ride and avoid sidewall cuts, or should I look to find whatever can run the lowest pressure?